04 febrúar 2007

West Wing, viku fyrir viku

ON WRITING: [W]hen you do a movie or a play, do you have to know [the characters] inside out to be able to write about them?

SORKIN: There is no inside out. You have to remember that the properties of characters and the properties of people are two entirely different things. You and I both had experiences when we were six years old that are still somehow affecting us now. A character like Bartlet, or Josh, Toby or Sam in The West Wing was never six years old. They were born at the age that they were in the pilot. They were never six years old, unless I am telling a story that involves something that happened to them when they were six. Now they're six years old. But people who talk about, "I want to know what this character had for breakfast last week before I can play the scene," I respect what they're doing, I don't understand it. there character didn't have breakfast a week ago. Characters don't have breakfast - people do.

[...]

If I want to tell a story about a woman reacting to the severe oppression of women in a certain Middle Eastern dictatorship, then I'm purposefully having C.J. react differently than Bartlet would. But if I wasn't interested in telling that story and I was interested in telling a different story about women in the Middle East, I would have no problem having C.J. and Bartlet react the exact same way. In other words, I don't sit there and think, oh shit, C.J. wouldn't do this. C.J. would do whatever I make C.J. do. Don scardino directed A Few Good Men on Broadway, and there was this moment during rehearsal one time when an actor came up to him and said, "I don't think my character would do this." And he just said, "I think you're playing the wrong character." Of course he would do it - it's right there in the script.

Þetta virkar voða blátt áfram, en það er í rauninni ekkert sjálfsagt að spila hlutina svona eftir eyranu í sjónvarpi. Oftar en ekki er búið að útbúa ,,biblíu" fyrir sjónvarpsþætti áður en ráðist er í framleiðslu af fullum krafti: Hvaðan persónurnar koma og hvert þær fara, tengslin á milli þeirra, stærri söguþræðir og hugmyndir að minni sögum og svo framvegis og framvegis. Mér finnst til að mynda merkilegt að MS-þráðurinn skuli ekki hafa orðið til fyrr en byrjað var að taka upp fyrstu seríuna, eins stór þáttur og það kom til með að vera þegar lengra dró.

Og svo er líka gaman að sjá talað um sögupersónur með svona passlega litlum hátíðleika. Minnir dáldið á Mamet.

Já og þarna er líka handritið að fyrsta þættinum, eftir viðtalið.

-b.

Engin ummæli: